Ascension of Christ Lutheran Church was created through the merger of Ascension Lutheran and Christ Lutheran Churches in 1972.
Ascension Lutheran, originally named Church of the Ascension-Lutheran, was organized as a mission of The English District in 1951 by The Rev. Paul Shippert in Birmingham, Michigan. Worship services were held in the chapel, which later became the parsonage. On May 8, 1955, the main church building was dedicated to the Glory of God.
Christ Lutheran Church, Southfield, Michigan, was begun in the year 1952 as a mission of The Michigan District. In the fall of 1952, the congregation, led by founding pastor Rev. George M. Krach, built and dedicates a small church edifice. In 1962, a study conducted to address the problems facing the congregation recommended relocation of the congregation to the 13 mile and Evergreen Road area. With the encouragement and aid of the Michigan District, the congregation purchased a five acre site at 20855 W. Thirteen Mile Road, and erected the first of a three-unit structure in 1966.
Talk began in early 1971 between two pastors, Rev. Eugene M. Hadwiger of Ascension Lutheran and Rev. Robert T. Boerger of Christ Lutheran, who believed that their programs would be more effective if there were larger groups participating. After six months of sharing some of the programs and further exploratory discussions, an actual merger seemed feasible to the two pastors; and meetings were held with members of both congregations relating advantages of a merger.
The final vote to merge the two congregations was taken on January 30, 1972. More than 75% of each congregation voted in favor of the merger. The combined congregations made the Ascension facility at 16935 W. Fourteen Mile Road in Beverly Hills their new home; and at a later date, sold the Christ property on Thirteen Mile Road.
As the result of a 1994 report outlining goals for the enhancement of growth opportunities, Ascension of Christ embarked on several building projects, including a building addition, expansion of the pastor's office and secretarial areas within the existing structure, relocation of the narthex and expansion of the nave. In June 1996, the congregation gathered to dedicate the renovated facility to the glory of God.
In 2015, sensing an opportunity to meet the needs of the community, the congregation voted to begin a state-licenses child care program. Ascension Early Child Care Center opened it's doors in November 2015 with Katrina Stewart as the founding Program Director.
Ascension of Christ Lutheran Church continues its leading people to know Jesus Christ as Savior and strengthening them for service in and through the church. To God alone be all the glory!